Skip to main content
Toggle Nav
Cart() cart() cart(US $ 0.00)

Magnetic Warning Labels Not Attracting Enough Attention

LightningQuoteTM

Get Your FREE Quote Instantly!
Get Started

Magnetic Warning Labels Not Attracting Enough Attention

Hazardous Toy Warning Labels Ineffective

Warning labels are often plastered on all kinds of children toys. They alert parents to watch out for ingestion and choking hazards that popular toys like minute dollhouse or puzzle pieces present. However, a group of doctors recently said warning labels do not represent enough preventative action for one certain sort of toy: Magnets.

The North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN) released a study that found warning labels on powerful magnetic ball toys are not doing a good enough job.

Study: Labels Often Ignored
NASPGHAN found that warning labels are largely ineffective. Its survey of more than 1,700 doctors found at least 480 reported incidents of magnet ingestion since labeling was required, with a nearly half, 204, occurring in the past year.

Magnet ingestion can present serious gastrointestinal health problem - if multiple pieces are swallowed, the magnets will inherently try to connect with one another and could possibly tear holes through the stomach and bowels in the process.

"The numbers have skyrocketed post-labeling," said Dr. Mark Gilger, a pediatric gastroenterologist and study author. "There's just many examples of people ignoring the labels, or people who haven't paid attention to them bringing them to their home inadvertently."